Jim is AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbel® and is listed in Best Lawyers In America® (Taxation).
SALES AND ACQUISITIONS
Jim has represented his clients in all forms of business sales, acquisitions, and tax-free reorganizations. Representative transactions include the following:
- Planning and implementing the sale of a business with assets located in several states with multiple owners for a sales price of approximately $70 million.
- Sale and lease back of multiple real estate facilities to a publicly held REIT for over $20 million.
- Sale of a regional telecom business to a national, publicly held competitor for over $20 million.
- Structuring the organization and ultimate sale of a manufacturing business to a much larger competitor in increments that allowed the original owners to retain control until they were ready to retire from the business.
- Assisting with the sale and purchase of various professional practices, including medical, dental, and accounting practices.
This experience allows Jim to help guide clients through the difficult and critically important stages of their business lives. The common thread which runs throughout these transactions is Jim’s expertise in structuring the transactions in a manner which maximizes the after-tax benefits for his clients.
Jim regularly assists clients in both the organization and unwinding or dissolution of business entities. His experience includes extensive work with the formation, reorganization, and dissolution of corporations, partnerships (limited and general), limited liability partnerships, and limited liability companies. The correct choice of a business entity and the best method to change or unwind the formal structure of a business entity are significant decisions with major planning opportunities and risks. Jim’s unique tax background and extensive experience with all forms of business entities and the related tax rules allow him to assist his clients in understanding their options and implementing the correct decisions.
Jim assists clients in planning the transfer of property and business ownership to both family and non-family members. This form of succession planning is often done in conjunction with both estate and retirement planning. Transition planning involves transfers to either family members or key employees. Each type of transfer has its unique challenges.
Jim has represented numerous corporations, associations, tax-exempt organizations, and individuals in disputes with the Internal Revenue Service and the Oregon Department of Revenue. His work in this area includes representation of clients before both the Oregon and Federal Tax Courts, the Federal District Court, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Jim has assisted clients in obtaining private letter rulings from the Internal Revenue Service to assure them of the tax treatment for specific organizational structures and transactions.
Jim represents clients in property tax disputes before county assessors, local Boards of Property Tax Appeals, the Department of Revenue, the Oregon Tax Court, and the Oregon State Supreme Court. He has successfully represented clients appealing property tax valuations for, among other things, manufacturing facilities, plywood and veneer mills, chipping facilities, food processing plants, office buildings, and retirement and nursing care facilities.
New York University College of Law
LL.M., Taxation, 1976
Willamette University College of Law
J.D., cum laude, 1975
- Marion County Bar Professionalism Award, 2010
- Salem First Citizen, 2007
- Salem Hospital Foundation: Board of Directors 2005-Present; President of Board of Directors 2007-2008
- Boys and Girls Club of Salem, Marion and Polk Counties – Member of the Board of Directors 1992-Present; President of Board of Directors 2002-2003; National Service to Youth Award February 2002 & 2007; Officer of the Year
- Salem Art Association – Member of Board of Directors; President of Board of Directors; Co-Chair of Art Festival
- Salem Schools Foundation – Member or Board of Directors; President of Board of Directors
- Chemeketa Community College Foundation – Member of Board of Trustees (17 years); President of Board of Trustees